2008 Woolworth Windows Exhibitions
Visit website for complete details: tacomacontemporary.org
The Urban Art Installations enliven over 100 feet of window frontage in downtown Tacoma. Tacoma Contemporary, a non-profit organization that advances contemporary art in Tacoma, is seeking artists, artist teams, and curators to create installations that will activate the window spaces.
The three-month exhibitions coincide with two cycles of the Third Thursday Art Walk. Artists should consider how their projects will be site-specific, relating to the space as well as passing pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
TaCo encourages projects that are accessible and sensitive to a wide audience. Proposals to use the space solely to exhibit existing works will not be considered unless the work is presented within the framework of an installation.
Applications are accepted via email only.
Applications should include the following:
- Project description
- Work Samples: Up to 15 jpegs, including samples of work by all participants
- Image Description List
- Other Support Materials: an artist resume is strongly recommended
All complete proposals are reviewed by the jurors. Decisions will be announced in late November.
Email proposals (2MB total size or less) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard-copy proposals will not be accepted.
WHAT TaCo PROVIDES
All costs for the show, (e.g., shipping and insuring of artworks, installation) are the responsibility of the artist/curator. Additionally, the artist/curator is also responsible for installing and deinstalling the show within the given schedule.
- TaCo will guarantee the space as ready to hang, which means that the walls will be patched and painted white and the floor will be clean.
- TaCo will provide white paint for the walls; any other colors are the responsibility of the artist/curator.
- TaCo will provide 24-hour lighting and electricity.
- TaCo will assist with marketing and promotions for the exhibition, including a postcard mailed to its mailing list (additional postcards are made available to the artists), monthly listings in appropriate publications, and a listing on the TaCo website.
- Press releases will be issued to relevant media contacts.
- TaCo will provide vinyl lettering of the artists’ name on the corresponding window.
Artist’s work will be held on consignment with TaCo and offered for sale at the price listed. TaCo will handle all sales and retain 30% of the retail price sale.
The diagrams provide detailed specifications of the Woolworth Spaces:
Window One - Floor Plan Elevation
Window Two - Floor Plan Elevation
Window Three - Floor Plan and Elevation
Window Four - Floor Plan Elevation
Window Five - Floor Plan Elevation
PO BOX 1914
TACOMA, WA 98401-1914